Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Paper Weaving: Ms. Thorne & Ms. Jundt

This art project was taught by Ms. Jundt and Ms. Thorne.  They introduced us to art weaving.  For this project you need thick tagboard or cardboard, newpapers strips, paint, and other materials to decorate.  We learned how to weave the paper around the cardboard.  We had to tape strips going one way across the paper.  Then, we taped paper down going a different direction.  We twisted then up and under each other.  After we created the actual weave, we painted the background with warm or cool colors.  I chose to use warm colors.  We were to use a shade or tint in the project, so I used a tint of yellow on the background.  Afterwards, we painted the strips of the paper.  I would have loved to paint all of my strips, but I did not have enough time.  I then used glitter on my strips to create a sparkley look to it.
An extension activity for this project would be for children to research weaving and where it started.  They could write a short paper on it, and put this with their project.

No comments:

Post a Comment